Buying clothes for someone else is tricky. So here are a few tips to help you treat the woman in your life.
Assuming that you haven’t had a chance to take the measurements yourself, you need to find out the size (see the size chart for UK, US and European sizes).
The best way of doing this is to have a look through her underwear drawer and check the labels on her underwear (unless she is the type that cuts them off).
When asked, women tend to tell you the size that they would like to be, rather than the size they are. If you are rifling through her drawers, try to find items that she wears more often, as these will be the most comfortable fit, rather than anything that looks hardly worn.
You may find more than one size bra when you go looking, but don’t worry. She may be one of those women who is an in-between who sometimes needs a 34A and sometimes 34b, depending on the design of the bra.
If she usually wears plain white cotton knickers, then crotchless, leather panties will not be for her. Although it is nice to be surprised and to try new things, you should have an idea of the sort of colors and style she prefers while choosing. (Check out the glossary to see the various types of lingerie available.) It has got to be comfortable for her to wear as well as look good.
7 steps to buying lingerie
1. Lingerie is an intimate gift. So be careful. Don’t go scaring her by buying something that fulfills your fantasy when you have only been together for a couple of weeks.
2. How saucy is she? If you don’t already know, you may have to find out. Think about what she likes not just what you like.
3. You may be thinking of buying her a bra. Look at what she normally wears. It is not just size that is important. Some girls don’t like to wear under wired or padded bras while others wouldn’t wear anything else. If you want to buy her something for everyday rather than a special occasion, look at her everyday dress. If she lives in t-shirts, then you will need to look at getting a smooth bra that will not show under her top.
4. Don’t always look at being too practical. There is something rather indulgent in a set of lingerie that you put on only to have it peeled off when you get home.
5. If you are not sure what color she prefers to wear, (if you can’t ask) then black and white are both classics. But black generally looks good on everyone… so go for that!
6. Many women are self-conscious about their bodies. So when you are buying lingerie have this in mind. It is better if you go for the bits she likes rather than the bits she doesn’t…
- If she has fabulous cleavage, show it off in a shelf bra.
- If she has a big bottom, don’t go buying her a thong. Treat her to some sexy, hot pants or even some frilly knickers to spice things up.
- If she doesn’t like her tummy, then go for a classic baby doll rather than a bra and knickers set.
- If she is a curvy girl, go for a basque. This will suit her better. (Basques are not meant for skinny girls.)
- If she has great legs, get her something short. A baby doll or a chemise would be ideal.
7. Great wrapping is important. If the shop or website offers a gift wrapping service, then use it. Many websites let you personalize a card, while providing you with a professionally wrapped item in a box filled with colored tissue paper and glittery things that would melt her heart and save you the time and trouble of wrapping it yourself!